Academic Position: Lecturer
Field of Expertise: Political Analysis
Yiannis Karayiannis graduated from the Department of Political Science & Public Administration (National & Kapodistrian University of Athens). From the same Department he obtained his MA and PhD with a scholarship from the State Scholarships Foundation. His research interests include central topics in modern political analysis, such as discourse analysis, studies of governmentality and governance, political communication, political identities, civil society and advocacy groups, and political and party systems in comparative perspective. He has teached at the Universities of Athens and Crete, and was a postgraduate fellow at the research program “Pythagoras I”. He is co-founder of a research network on political discourse analysis, and is General Secretary of the Hellenic Political Science Association (HPSA). He has participated in several national and European research networks and has published in scientific journals and edited volumes.
Office Hours: Thursday 15:00-17:00, Friday 09:00-11:00
1) PhD, Dept. of Political Science & Public Administration, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
2) M.A., Dept. of Political Science & Public Administration, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
3) B.A., Dept. of Political Science & Public Administration, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
1) Political Analysis
2) Discourse Analysis
3) Political Communication
4) Political Identities
5) Civil Society, Advocacy Groups
1) Political Communication (Compulsory course)
2) Political Discourse and Ideology (Elective seminar course)
3) Citizens, Identities, and Politics in Modern Greece (Compulsory course)
4) Political Advocacy (Elective seminar course)
- “Interdisciplinary contributions in modern political analysis: The notion of ¢frame¢”, (forthcoming), in A. J-D. Metaxas (ed.), Political Science: An Interdisciplinary and Critical Approach to Political Praxis, Athens (in Greek).
- Methodological Issues and Research Infrastructures of Social Sciences (Co-editor with Y. Kallas and D. Kondylis), University of Athens & Aegean University, Athens, Potamos Publications (in Greek).
- “Society and politics in modern Greece: Aspects and dimensions of associations in the region of Attica, 1949-1967”, in Greek Review of Social Research, Vol. 127 C’, Athens 2008, pp. 3-44 (in Greek).
- “¢Major parties¢ and politics in modern Greece”, in Greek Political Science Review, Vol. 29, Athens, June 2007, pp. 61-89 (in Greek).
- “Political slogans and party competition in the Third Hellenic Democracy: ¢Mikromesaioi¢ and ¢Noikokyraioi¢ in the struggle of posting of social consensus”, in Chr. Vernardakis, El. Georgantas, D. Gravaris, D. Kotroyannos (eds), Thirty Years of Democracy: The Political System of the Third Hellenic Democracy, 1974-2004, Vol. A’, Athens 2004, Kritiki Publications & Department of Political Science University of Crete, pp. 210-250 (in Greek).